A protein rich kebab recipe that pair well with all types of vegetables, rice, lentils, legumes and for sandwiches.
Home made frozen food is always best when it comes to using freezer stores for over the week. Be it minced meat Turkish kebab or these south Asian shami kebabs. When pondering over the nutrition facts of food items. I always prefer these over frozen nuggets, and burger Pattie’s.
These south Asian ‘shami’ kebabs are favorite and most loved in many households. They can be made of any kind of meat. For example, mutton, beef or chicken kebabs. The most easy recipe and the one my house loves the most is with chicken.
These kebabs were one most wanted craving when a person loves abroad or away from family. While being far from home, ‘shami kebabs’ were the most awaited cravings to fulfill from my mom specialties. A blend of some self-experience, moms guidance and practice. I have this simple easy to make Shami kebabs recipe. It takes normal time and effort and is a healthy protein rich meal.
- 750 grams of boneless chicken
- 1 cup split chickpeas lentils (chana daal)
- 2 peeled and diced potatoes
- Basic home spices
- Minimal red chili powder (1/2 tsp)
- Black pepper powder (1/2 tsp)
- Crushed coriander seeds (1 tsp)
- Salt ( 1 tsp)
- Chat masala (1/2 tsp)
- Ginger garlic paste (1 tsp)
- 2 chopped onions
- 2 chopped green chilies
- A stalk of coriander leaves
- 2 eggs
- 2 tbsp breadcrumbs
- Soak lentils in water for 30-40 mins,
- Cut chicken and potatoes into cubes,
- Add chicken, potatoes, lentils in a wide pot
- Add the spices and ginger garlic paste
- Add some water to cover the mixture and put it on medium heat
- Let the mixture cook for 30-40 mins on medium heat
- Keep stirring after every 5-10 mins and add a bit of water
- Turn off the stove once the mixture is dry, well cooked and all ingredients are soft
- Add green chilies, coriander, egg, oil and breadcrumbs
- Hand mix the batter or mix in a chopper for better results
- Add chopped onions and hand mix the batter
The kebab mixture is ready now. Egg, breadcrumbs, and oil ensure a rich consistency of the mixture that helps make perfect shaped rounds. Mound the mixture to your favorite shape and fry them in minimal oil coated with egg.
These kebabs can also be air-fried using zero oil. The batter is already cooked well when on medium heat. It’s need to be fried to give the outer crunch and texture.
They go perfect for sandwiches, a famous street food ‘bun kebab’ wraps. When mixed with loaded veggies and whole grain bread, they make an awesome healthy protein rich meal!
Moreover, two good sized Shami kebab can count as one portions of protein.
So wrap up two mashed kebabs in two slices of brown or whole grain bread. Add your favorite veggies and half a spoon of mayonnaise or your favorite sauce. There you go, enjoy a yummy healthy portion controlled meal with it!